16 July 2007

impression

I have been playing with the idea of "impression." As in the impression of an object, something left behind after that object is gone. I just wanted to see what would happen with the tomato....

But what I am really interested in are tea bags. I have been saving my tea bags from this quarter to possibly do something with in the fall and I had this idea last week to also have the impression from each bag. So I began on this piece of watercolor paper last Monday.

I love the ghost-like image that remains. The contrast between the hard and soft edges are beautiful and they almost resemble cocoon shapes.
The blue-green impressions are from a green tea with berries. Its supposed to suppress the appetite, but I dont think it works. I like the taste tho and the colors from the impression are intense and deep.

I am going to start a daily practice of collecting the impressions from my tea bags. I have made small pieces of paper into single signatures (just a folded piece of paper that would be sewn into a book) but instead of binding them I am stacking them between two blocks of wood.

Once the stack gets very high it will be hard to balance, which is ultimately what this piece is about. Drinking tea brings me a calm and balanced feeling. I try very hard to have balance in my life, I need it and I thrive on it.

Thats it for now, I am trying to figure out whether to post my daily collages all at once because I have about 16 to catch you up on. It would be a super long photo post, but I guess that wouldnt necessarily be a bad thing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am really loving this idea of impression. You can go so many directions with this. There is the first impression....ooh, gross...rotting food, old tea bags...blah blah blah, but then you look deeper and you peel away the surface and you get this beautiful thing and you are pleasantly surprised to see this beauty in something that at first rubbed you the wrong way. Very much like people!